Should Cell-Phones be banned from School Campus?

Do you think phones should be banned from school campuses? There are many mixed emotions as to whether phones should be banned. Well I have interviewed all the teachers at MHS about their thoughts about phones on school campuses. Many had mixed emotions and were really clueless and had to think about it before answering. Most of the teachers here do want them banned for educational reasons.  In my opinion I do not think phones should be banned, but I do see why some teachers are wanting them banned from school.

Most of the teachers at MHS want phones banned and I do see why. The reason is phones are causing a distraction to learning and causing distraction to others that are trying to learn, people cheat on classwork, students also cheat on test with phones, students are bullying each other over social media, students are videoing fights, and, finally, parents are texting and calling their kids during the school day and expecting them to answer. The teachers are not wrong. Students are using their phones way too much on campus and using them inappropriately. But the teachers say that they are  a good educational resource if the students are using them the properway. If the computers are down then phones would be a very useful resource because  they are able to use their phones to research for projects, do classwork, look up words that are unfamiliar to them, etc. Some teachers have said that 9th graders phones should be banned from school because they are immature for a phone. 

The results of the survey showed thatabout 40 percent of the teachers do not think phones should be banned from school. Principal Adam Lindsey states, “ I get where teachers are wanting them banned because of cheating, bullying, etc, but we are grown adults and teenagers that should use our phones responsibly.” Teachers are not wanting them banned because of emergencies. Students need a way to communicate with parents, family, and friends during the school day. But, they should be put out of sight when the teacher is up teaching. Teachers are saying that they should not be banned because cell phones are now part of life, but there should be rules to minimize distraction with the phones. Such as, students should turn their phone off and put it in a basket in the front of the room. 

To conclude, most teachers think that phones should be banned from school. The teachers are also saying if they are banned each student should have their own personal computer provided by the school. All in all 17 teachers say, yes we need to ban them and 15 say no we do not need to ban them.

Staff writer: Rock Cummings