Who is Cooper?

Who is Cooper, what in the world does he have to do with Mooreville, and why is our website named ‘Conversation’s with Cooper’? Well I will tell you. 

A few weeks ago I was just like you, I had no idea that our mascot had a name, but he does, and his name is Cooper. Cooper has been the name of our mascot since 2011, but it is not a really well-known fact. So I went digging, where I found out the name of Cooper, and the idea of Cooper. 

Until recently no one knew that the trooper mascot had a name, not even some of the teachers! While thinking of a name for our blog we wanted to do something Trooper related. So we were wondering if the trooper had a name, and after some digging we found out that the trooper was named Cooper! From there more questions arose. When did Cooper come around? Who was the first Cooper? That began my search for answers. 

I started with Ms. Fowler, who went to school here and graduated 95’-96’. She told me that Mrs. Perkins was the mascot back in high school, and so I interviewed her, where she told me about her time as Cooper. Back in her day her costume consisted of a cape made by Mrs. Perkin’s grandmother, a stick horse, and a head made of paper mache. She was the mascot from 92’ through 95’. Back then the mascot had no name; he was simply known as, “The Trooper Mascot”. We started doing the mascot football season of 91’. Her favorite part about being the mascot was when she went to the cheerleader camps with the cheerleaders and when she would get picked up by the cheerleaders and swim across the field while the band played ‘Wipe Out’. After more questions I found out that Mrs. Perkins actually raised the money for today’s costume! 

More questions during this interview included how many mascots there were, where I found out there were six people who previously were the mascots, not including the person who is the most recent mascot. These people include: Micheal Loden (one year), Carmen Perkins (three years), Josh Green (unknown), Kristen Shumper (unknown), Payton Wilburn (one year), and our current mascot Davin Dykes (three years). We did take a pause from doing the mascot, but we adopted him back in 2011, where he officially became known as Cooper which was picked by the then cheerleaders, which leads us to now.

Cooper is a big part of our school and our team spirit. We are happy to have a mascot and now a name for our school’s mascot! This was a thrill to research and be able to write about. So now you know!

Staff writer, Leigh Strickland

One thought on “Who is Cooper?

• February 9, 2022 at 9:55 am
    Permalink

Kristin Shumpert is my cousin, and she could give you some more information to add here about the history of Cooper. She was the mascot when I was in high school. The girl kissing Cooper in the picture is my sister, Amy!

Reply